SEO And Website Design Tip: How To Conduct an SEO Audit, Technical Audit and Optimize Internal Links
Before you start your SEO strategy make sure your website is free of any technical issues and optimized for search engines! Your on-site optimization helps search engines determine your authority and relevance to search terms and your ranking.
The Technical Audit examines your site for any technical problems that may affect your user experience, and search engine ranking! Internal link optimization helps examine the linking structure of your site, anchor text and image links for any errors and opportunities to optimize.
# 1 – Technical Audit
Start off with a technical audit of your site to identify any technical issues that might affect website performance and ranking. The Technical Audit looks at aspects of your site that are important, and identifies where errors occur, including:
- Visitors to your sites and crawlers do not have the patience for slow site speed. The faster the better!
- Search engines view links, anchors and images as factors of website quality.
- Errors in coding can cause slow response time and server issues which affects your overall quality.
# 2 – Website SEO Analysis
Once all technical issues are addressed proceed to do an SEO Audit of your website:
- Examine on-site issues that are relevant to search engine robots, website quality and rankings.
- Create a Sitemap.xml and Robots.txt file for your site and tell search engines how to navigate and index your content.
- A temporary redirect, where an old URL is redirected to a new one, is confusing for search engines if you must redirect traffic to a new site with a permanent 301 redirect.
- If using dynamic URLs be sure they are search engine friendly and as simple as possible, and in an organized structure, such as <a target = "_ blank" rel = "nofollow" href = "http://www.example.com/ category / sub-category / specific-service.com "> http://www.example.com/category/sub-category/specific-service.com </a>
- It is important to have a unique Title Tag (70 characters long) for every page on your website. Engines display the Title Tag in search results, it is what users will click on to reach your site, so make it count!
- Search engines display the Description Tag (320 characters) underneath the Title Tag in search results, it is also the snippet of text that automatically appears when the URL is shared on Social Media! As with Title Tags, your Description Tags should be unique to each page.
- H1 Heading is the most important heading on your page and is used by search engines to determine the relevancy of your page to searched terms. Be sure to have only one H1 on each of your web pages, any outstanding Headings should be H2-H4.
- Each webpage should have some outgoing links to other high ranking pages, depending on the amount of content on a page keeping the number of links under 100.
- Image ALT Attributes enrich website usability and allow images themselves to rank in results!
- Check out the page speed and load time of your site! Sites with low page speed are not user-friendly and may be disregarded by search engines.
- Use a mobile friendly or responsive web design to ensure that your site looks and performs well on all types of devices! Search engines will also identify your site as mobile friendly when you rank on mobile search results . Identify specific aspects of your site that may affect performance on mobile devices.
# 3 – Internal Links Optimization
Carefully optimize anchor text with specific keywords! Search engines look for keywords within anchor text to understand what a webpage is about, and how it should be indexed.
- The link texts found on your website, and the pages where they are located.
- The total number of pages that have the link text
- The authority of link text when used as anchor text
- A number of links to pages that are blocked for crawling (via Robots.txt or noindex tag).
- Links to pages that are listed as nofollow, and will not pass on 'link juice'.
- Sitewide links are less valuable than links placed in the text and surrounded with thematically relevant words!
Hiring SEO professionals to perform a complete SEO audit of your site will pinpoint specific areas to improve your website's performance and rankings.
Get More Information For SEO And Web Design Tips Here: seo agencies edinburgh